Website Delaware Technical Community College
The Delaware Technical Community College is looking for highly talented and motivated individuals for their Wilmington, DE offices. If you are interested in the long-term career progression then apply for Library Specialist – Temporary Part-Time in Wilmington, DE.
Job: Library Specialist – Temporary Part-Time
Company: Delaware Technical Community College
Location: Wilmington, DE
This is a part-time position. The incumbent will perform services in library acquisitions copy cataloging. The position is Monday – Friday.
4017 (FT), 4517 (PT)
Position Pay Grade
An incumbent is responsible for providing support and information services in the daily operation of a library program.
Nature and Scope
An incumbent typically reports to a technical supervisor and may supervise support staff. Incumbents are responsible for support functions and information services of the library by assisting in the acquisition, cataloging, locating, and distribution of library materials. Class incumbents also provide administrative support, including recordkeeping and report preparation. A significant aspect of this work is the use of and production of computerized statistical summaries pertinent to circulation, inventory, etc., and providing of information using available print resources, computerized databases, microcomputer files, etc.
An incumbent may perform any combination of the below listed accountabilities:
1. Searches and prepares orders for books, periodicals, and supplies for the library using available print resources, electronic databases, and microcomputer files. Receives such materials, authorizes invoices for payment, and updates library fiscal files. Recommends library acquisitions.
2. Searches and edits cataloging records for new library titles on the large cataloging database of the Online Computer Library Center (or equivalent) for the library. Cancels and updates weeded titles. Enters original cataloging data into the database from information supplied by the cataloger.
3. Creates and updates files listing uncataloged library materials.
4. Maintains special collections, including print, microfilm, and microfiche. Communicates with vendors regarding purchases for both print and non-print materials.
5. Communicates to vendors specific problems with received materials; composes a variety of correspondence and follows up on details.
6. Interacts with academic librarians from partner institutions for book acquisition and selection.
7. Analyzes utilization trends by instructional departments, partner institutions, and community patrons to ensure their needs are being met. Generates necessary reports.
8. Assists in conducting library inventory and maintaining the shelf list catalog, which is the library’s inventory record of its cataloged materials.
9. Circulates equipment and materials, as well as audio/visual aides. Answers questions regarding reference and library usage, referring more complex questions to the librarian.
10. Maintains records relating to student data holds on delinquent library materials. Maintains electronic cash register for fines and lost book collection.
11. Provides information and assistance to students, faculty, staff, and community patrons. Performs the circulation duties of the library including manning the desk and recording incoming and outgoing materials such as books, periodicals, audio/visual items and equipment as needed.
12. Supervises, trains, and evaluates part-time employees; develops work schedules.
13. Performs other related duties as required.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of library operations.
Knowledge of the operation of the assigned library.
Knowledge of computer systems utilized by the library.
Knowledge of technical library practices and procedures governing the circulation, maintenance, and location of library materials.
Knowledge of public contact skills employed in providing library services.
Good interpersonal and communications skills.
Skill in locating and processing library materials.
Skill in cataloging and classifying library materials.
Ability to operate computer equipment.
Ability to effectively serve a wide variety of patrons.
Ability to elicit information to determine patron needs.
Ability to identify needed changes in assigned program and recommend to manager for implementing.
Ability to effectively communicate.
Ability to learn the Online Computer Library Center (OCLC) system.
Associate degree in a relevant field and four (4) years of relevant experience; or other equivalent combination of education and experience.
Number of Vacancies
Desired Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
Open Until Filled
Special Applicant Instructions