Website NorthWest Arkansas Community College
The NorthWest Arkansas Community College is looking for highly talented and motivated individuals for their Bentonville, AR offices. If you are interested in the long-term career progression then apply for Part-time Extra Help Lab Assistant in Bentonville, AR.
Job: Part-time Extra Help Lab Assistant
Company: NorthWest Arkansas Community College
Location: Bentonville, AR
Lab Assistant Duties
The following are job duties performed by but not limited to the part-time extra help lab assistants on a regular basis.
Required Work Experience
NorthWest Arkansas Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. The college welcomes applications without regard to age, race, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, religion, marital or parental status, protected veteran status, military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Additional Posting Information:
High school diploma required including some courses in biology and chemistry
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Summary of Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Maintains security of science area labs and materials.
2. Reports accidents or incidents that occur in the science area to lab supervisor, lead faculty and division dean.
3. Complies with all department safety procedures.
4. Looks for and reports potential safety hazards.
5. Inspects and maintains laboratory safety equipment.
6. Be knowledgeable about proper procedures, especially for handling lab emergencies like chemical spills, fires, and injuries.
1. Aids in the preparation of chemicals needed for labs in Chemistry, Biology, Botany, Geology, Microbiology, Medical Technology, and Anatomy & Physiology. Must be supervised when performing tasks.
2. Aids in performing laboratory tests to verify the quality of chemicals needed for various courses. Must be supervised when performing tasks.
3. Aids in preparing media aseptically for use in microbiology. Must be supervised when performing tasks.
4. Aids in restocking laboratory experiment kits/carts.
5. Breaks down labs when all have been completed.
6. Aids with inventories of chemicals, consumables, specimens, and equipment.
7. Informs lab supervisor when items need to be reordered.
8. Verifies and stocks newly received supplies in the proper locations.
9. Aids instructors in locating items needed for instruction.
10. Aids with the maintenance of all preserved specimens and models.
11. Assists other laboratory personnel with tasks and or procedures.
12. Types up purchase requisitions and letters of justification for laboratory needs.
13.Reports needed facilities repairs to lab supervisor for maintenance work orders.
Maintenance and Cleaning:
1. Cleans, disinfects all science classrooms/labs each week using appropriate check list and procedures.
2. Maintains dilution tanks, eye washes, and safety showers by flushing on prescribed schedule.
3. Washes all safety glasses and goggles on a bimonthly schedule.
4. Sterilizes all bio-hazardous materials by proper procedure.
5. Maintains and cleans microscopes and other laboratory equipment such as but not limited to autoclave, hot plates, balances etc.
6. Maintains and cleans instructional media equipment such as but not limited to VCR, overhead etc.
7. Washes and maintains laboratory equipment such as but not limited to dissecting tools, pans, and various glassware.
8. Attends ongoing training sessions presented by laboratory supervisors and or chemical hygiene officer.
9. Travels to the other NWACC campuses to do same cleaning and aid with lab prep for Science Department classes at those locations.
10. Cleans white boards/ calculators in math classroom area
(Extra-Help Lab Assistants will be cross-trained to perform Department duties as needed)
1. Greets and directs students and visitors. Answers telephone and relay messages. Provides information as needed.
2. Makes copies as requested for faculty. Assists faculty with copier, fax and other machinery as needed.
3. Performs other duties as assigned.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
Physical Demands/Work Environment
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT: The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Environment: Work is performed primarily in a lab setting with frequent interruptions and distractions; the employee is regularly exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals; the employee is frequently exposed to risk of chemical hazards, explosive hazards, burn hazards and electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Physical: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an lab setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull up to 25 pounds; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; and to verbally communicate to exchange information.
Vision: See in the normal visual range with or without correction.
Flexible schedule not to exceed 19 hours per week.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants: