Website University of Illinois
If you are looking for a part-time career then apply for the Senior Laboratory Mechanic – Industrial & Enterprise Systems Engineering. The new position is open in the Urbana-Champaign, IL at University of Illinois local office. Check out the details below.
Job: Senior Laboratory Mechanic – Industrial & Enterprise Systems Engineering
Company: University of Illinois
Location: Urbana-Champaign, IL
Senior Laboratory Mechanic
Industrial and Enterprise Systems
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Employees at this level perform highly skilled work in the development, fabrication, testing, and/or operation of a variety of diverse laboratory equipment and machine tools. They work under general supervision from a designated supervisor.
A Senior Laboratory Mechanic typically –
1. performs highly skilled work in the development, fabrication, calibration, and assembly of laboratory apparatus
2. tests and operates developmental laboratory apparatus in the area of employment
3. uses general type of machine tools with a journeyman degree of skill, working independently on machine set-up and job layout
4. works from sketches or detailed working drawings and completes necessary calculations
5. performs work of medium-to-fine tolerances with commercial surface finishes suitable for high vacuum or high pressure seals
6. machines effectively most metals and non-metals
7. prepares and produces simple sketches and/or CAD drawing for the fabrication of components of laboratory apparatus
8. assists in the training and supervision of employees of lower rank and, as required, instructs or assists students or staff in proper use of tools and machinery
9. employs welding, brazing, and hard and soft soldering techniques as necessary
10. uses CAD/CAM software to create part files for CNC machine tools
11. if needed, assists in the selection, purchase, installation and maintenance of equipment
12. may perform duties of Laboratory Mechanic as necessary
13. performs related duties as assigned
1. High school graduation or equivalent
2. Any combination totaling four (4) years (48 months)
A. Successful completion of a machinist apprentice (or in a closely related program) in an approved training program or in a training program established by an employer served by the State Universities Civil Service System.
B. Work experience comparable to that performed at the Laboratory Mechanic level of this series or in other positions of comparable responsibility.
C. College course work in welding, electrical/electronics, HVAC, industrial/technology machining or manufacturing area or a closely related field.
30 semester hours equals to one (1) year (12 months)
60 semester hours (or an Associate’s degree) equals to two (2) years (24 months)
3. Three (3) years (36 months) of work experience in the design and construction of precision instruments (such as but not limited to scale models of machine tools, special machinery, progressive dies, jigs, and fixtures)
For more information about this classification:
Senior Laboratory Mechanic positions are benefits-eligible civil service positions. Most positions are full-time (37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year). The minimum salary is $38.06 per hour.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at jobs.illinois.edu and an exam request form for Senior Laboratory Mechanic. Documents such as college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver’s license, professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Exam scores for this credential assessment will be based on materials submitted, rather than a written exam.
Do not apply if you are a current employee working in this classification. Current employees may request to be added to the Transfer List.
Please monitor your email (including spam or junk mail) for testing and other correspondence from SHR-TESTING@mx.uillinois.edu and email@example.com.
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Illinois Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
College Name or Administrative Unit:
Industrial and Enterprise Sys Eng
4-Crafts and Trades
Senior Laboratory Mechanic – Industrial & Enterprise Systems Engineering (124930)
IndustrialandEnterprise Sys Eng